Thursday 24 October 2013

Flourless Chewy-Nutty-Chocolate Cookies

Inspired by my recipe for ANZAC biscuits, I wanted to create a double chocolate biscuit. I thought a similar recipe would produce the combination of crunchy/chewy that I wanted, and all I had to do was make a few little changes and add in a few key ingredients:

I thought adding some hazelnut meal in addition to almond meal would give it an almost nutella-like chocolate taste. And, I was able to use half the amount of coconut sugar as last time with the addition of chocolate! Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I received rave reviews from the people who tried these.

So, here are the ingredients you need:

- 3 tbs cocoa powder
- 100g dark chocolate (I used 50g but decided after that it wasn't enough. You can adjust to your own taste and maybe use even less sugar)
- 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup coconut crystals
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (or honey if you prefer)
- 125g salted butter (next time I'll experiment with coconut oil or cacao butter but I'm not sure if they will give the same texture)
- 1/2tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tbs boiling water

Chop up the chocolate roughly:


I prefer the texture of cutting up the chocolate myself rather than using whole chocolate chips. That way you get the big chunks as well as little crumbs of chocolate spread throughout the dough.

Melt the butter and syrup in a saucepan over low heat. Dissolve the bicarb soda in the boiling water then add this to the butter/syrup mixture.

Mix together the dry ingredients, then mix the wet ingredients in until it looks like this:


Roll tablespoon sized balls onto lined baking trays and flatten very slightly as they will spread while cooking.



 Bake in a preheat oven at 150 degrees celsius for about 15 minutes. Cool on a metal rack. Voila!



 Once they have cooled, I recommend wrapping the cookies in cling wrap if you want to keep them fresh. I find that grain-free baked goods are quicker to go stale.

No comments:

Post a Comment