Sunday 13 October 2013

Paleo Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing


It's my boyfriend's birthday tomorrow and he put in a special request for carrot cake, which is one of my favourites as well. The above picture is a version I made before I went grain-free, which I decorated with royal icing coloured and shaped into carrots. However to make a paleo version, I adapted one of Danielle Walker's recipes from her book "Against All Grain" for snickerdoodle cupcakes. 

I made a few small adjustments. I subbed in coconut oil instead of cacao butter, and added 1/2 cup of grated carrot and 1/2 cupped chopped walnuts, as well as another extra tablespoon of coconut milk. To lessen the taste of honey, I used 2 tablespoons of honey and 1/4 cup of coconut sugar to sweeten the batter instead of the specified amount of honey. 

To make the cream cheese icing, I whipped together about 200gm of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of coconut sugar, before sprinkling cinnamon on top. Voila!



No comments:

Post a Comment