Sunday 25 May 2014

The 30 Day Shred and other Youtube Exercise Videos

Last night, after so many times hearing about the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred which can be viewed for free on youtube, I finally did it for myself. If you just skimmed through the video it might look easy but trust me, it's not! I was sweaty by the end and could really feel it in my thighs and arms. I like the fact that it is only 25 minutes long, or even shorter if you don't count the introduction and the cool down. I get bored of exercise pretty quickly if I'm not enjoying it so I need things that are shorter but still DO something.

Aside from walking regularly which I don't mind, I know it is important to also use your muscles (or "lift heavy things" as Mark Sisson would say) a couple of times a week. The trouble is, I always procrastinate like crazy when it comes to strength training because lifting weights just isn't fun to me! Or I do a workout once, and never again. So I have learnt to not worry about sticking to a consistent routine, as long as I am lifting heavy things a couple of times a week and generally keeping active. This page has a whole bunch of free workouts to watch and so I am just going to mix it up and keep trying out different ones. Sure, I'll go back to the 30 day shred sometimes too. But if I did it all the time it would drive me crazy. I really do have to just end up forcing myself to exercise sometimes.

If I really don't want to do a whole workout at once I just do it sporadically throughout the day - like doing some lateral raises when I walk past my hand weights, or walking lunges on the way to the bathroom, or running up and down the stairs when I feel like it, etc.

I have pretty much acknowledged my laziness when it comes to exercise, and that you just have to make the best use of what you have really. I'm never going to be one of those people who is "addicted to exercise" I don't think, or who loves lifting, or whatever. I can deal with that as long as I keep moving around a lot throughout the day and don't sit on my butt the whole time!

No comments:

Post a Comment