Wednesday 22 January 2014

Farewell, sugar. It hasn't been nice knowing you...

It has come to my realisation that I will never be able to "moderate" myself when exposed to sugar. I thought that I would be able to have a little bit now and again but for whatever reason, when choice comes into the matter and there is the option of being able to have some, it just screws with my mind and I want to binge on it. I mean, sugar is an addictive substance so it is not surprising that having a "little bit" just makes you want to have more and more.

So I have decided that what I was doing during my 3 weeks of no sugar - i.e. only having sugar in the form of whole fruit - is what I want to continue to do for the rest of my life. The only exception I will make is for parties and special events, because I think it would be nice to be able to bake something for occasions like that and I do love baking, and I have lots of people to share the food with. But in day to day life, living without sugar and starch is now my norm. And I am happy to live without binge eating.

As I promised myself the other day, I have stopped weighing myself and obsessing over what the scales say, and I think it has made a difference. My work pants are looser than they were the other day! So I think that shifting the focus away from "losing weight" and onto just living day to day life as healthily and actively as possible, is the key. Besides, as I know from experience, the scales are not always reliable!

I had to take my car to get serviced yesterday, and pick it up today, and both times it involved a half hour walk. Luckily the weather is a bit cooler and overcast, but I still slip-slop-slapped. Today after I picked my car up I drove it to a local park and did some sprints, inspired by this article from Mark's Daily Apple. Like skipping, sprinting appeals to me because it doesn't take long!

No comments:

Post a Comment