Tuesday 25 February 2014

Day #21 Personal Paleo Code 30 Day Reset

Well I've made it past the 3 week mark - with a bit of a slip up over Valentine's day! (Chocolate, of course). In fact I had chocolate, dairy, and soy so I can't pin down what caused the symptoms I experienced the next day. After that I became a lot more determined to be strict and not cheat for the rest of the 30 days - and maybe even longer if I need to. I need to be able to reintroduce foods one by one very slowly so that I can really know once and for all what I am intolerant to. I have a nasty feeling that I won't tolerate dairy:( But oh, if I can introduce eggs back in, life will be a lot easier!

One of the biggest things I have learnt is to keep it simple. In the first week I spent more time IN the kitchen than out of it, and it got old fast. At the moment I'm thoroughly over slaving away for hours on a dish. Luckily I have now got a few different basic recipes that I can alternate:

- Sausage patties: for breakfast, lunch or a quick dinner when I need it. I vary the meat, veggies and herbs I use to mix it up week by week. I make a big batch and keep them in the freezer. This week I have pork and apple and sage. I like to have a sweet potato hash brown on the side.

- Chicken: I rub thigh fillets with olive oil, herbs, salt, pepper and a dash of cumin, then fry them in olive or coconut oil. I have whatever veggies I feel like (or that are in the fridge) on the side.

- Steak: seasoned with salt, pepper and herbs. It is so, so delicious when served on a bed of greens, with a slice of crispy bacon on top and avocado slices on the side. Even better with a slice of pineapple on top as well. Eating this meal feels so amazingly indulgent yet it is so simple.

- Skillet: I vary the veggies but usually have cubes of sweet potato, diced mushroom and leek, spinach, garlic, and then add in some chopped up sausage at the end. Again, super simple. The most taxing part is the chopping up of veggies.

I now have perfected all these recipes so that I am able to chuck in whatever veggies and herbs I want to taste, and the most time consuming part is simply the prep of the veggies.

I would advise to keep the exotic recipes for on the weekend or just once a week, when you have the time and energy and feel inspired. Keeping it simple most of the time is just so much easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment