Monday 16 December 2013

I'm Back!

So, I've returned from my hiatus of a few weeks. I'm nice and relaxed and stress free after the cruise, but now it's back to reality - where your room isn't cleaned twice a day and all your meals aren't provided for you, where you can't just hop into the spa with a daiquiri every afternoon!

*   *   *

Oh well. I read a good book on the cruise called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" by Richard Carlson. There were so many practical tips in there for living a peaceful, stress-free life but there were a few things that hit home with me the most.

- "Wherever you go, there you are," as they say. If you're a person that is always wanting what you don't have and postponing happiness until you get or achieve certain things, chances are that when you get those things you still won't be satisfied and you will want something else. You will still have the grass-is-greener mentality. We have to learn to be happy RIGHT NOW, just the way things are; be able to draw happiness from our day to day lives - the journey itself. And the thing is, you never know what's going to happen to you tomorrow. Your life could be taken from you without warning and I want to know that I'm living my life like it's the last day I'll have to live it. Just really appreciating everything I have.

- Sometimes, life just isn't fair. People don't always act the way we want them to, respond the way we want them to, life doesn't always go according to plan. That's just the nature of life itself. You gotta roll with the punches, I guess. Just take life as it comes in an accepting way. And don't sweat the small stuff.

There were so many other important things to learn from reading that book so definitely go and get a copy. It brings much needed perspective and is a good book to be able to have a flick through when life is throwing you a curve ball - or you're just feeling in a shitty mood.

*   *   *

A good thing to remember is that there is no one way of eating (or living, for that matter) that works for everyone. A lot of people have found remarkable success with the paleo diet, yet others need to be more restrictive due to food intolerances. Some people find that being vegetarian or vegan works for them. Others eat whatever they feel like and try to pay attention to when they are satisfied so they don't overeat. Some people swear by "clean eating" or the raw food diet. Well, if it works for them, good on them. While I think everyone in the whole world would be a lot better off without wheat and vegetable oils in their diets, what people choose to do with the rest of their diet is up to them, and up to their body really.

I've realised today that, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" At the moment, I feel really good with a lot of energy (unless I have too much sugar or chocolate, then I get a headache and lethargic) so I don't think there's a need, at the moment at least, to try to cut out dairy. I mean, at the moment my Hashimoto's doesn't seem to be affecting me - I imagine it like a latent beast and one day I may find that my thyroid hormones aren't functioning as optimally as they should and maybe that would be a day that I would need to consider other options. But hopefully that day won't have to come as I think not having gluten, grains and vegetable oils gets rid of the major sources of inflammation in the body. Like I said, you just have to take each day as it comes.

It has been hard to get back into my normal routine after being on the cruise, as I was so used to just eating desserts all day with abandon and not worrying about it. Today I bought a whole block of white chocolate and after eating two rows, managed to get myself to stop. I wrapped the rest of it up in foil, in 2-square individual servings. I'm hoping that will help me to consume only one serving per day (or at a time). I've also been thinking I need to plan ahead more with food, and have broader snack and breakfast and lunch ideas. I'd like to have more vegetables in my diet. I'm going to make some nut and seed crackers to have with guacamole - I'll post pics after. Devilled eggs are another good option for a portable snack to take to work. 





No comments:

Post a Comment